Population and Markets
- South Central Ontario Region is comprised of five counties and 28 local municipalities
- Brant, Bayham, Middlesex, Norfolk and Oxford Counties
- Regional population of nearly 1 million people and representing rural population of over 490,000
- 25% corporate tax rate for manufacturing (1)
- Employer healthcare contributions 1/3 the cost of the U.S. average (1)
- Home to North America’s 2nd largest financial hub (1)
- Exchange on Canadian dollar contributes up to 25% added cost advantage
- 234 km of Lake Erie Shoreline
- Among the mildest climates in Canada
Resources and Education
- The region is home to diverse primary crop production. The area has grown strong
agriculture and food opportunities.
- The area is also home to many types of advanced manufacturing.
- We have a strong network of post-secondary institutions in our borders and nearby
- 68% higher education attainment (2)
Communities and Living
- About 80% of the population lives in urban centres with populations between 30,000
and 300,000. The remaining 20% live in beautiful historic rural towns and villages.
- About 65% of the adult population has some college or university education.
- Transportation is well served by road networks with 3 major highways that move
people and freight across the Province as well as into the US markets
- The region is served by two trans-continental railway systems serving Canada with
inter-connections to the US market
- Ontario cities rank among the best places to live and work in North America (Toronto #16 and Ottawa #19) (3)
Want to learn more? Head over to our other website for business and investment information http://scorbusinessportal.com/
- Ernst and Young, 2018 MEDJCT Commissioned Study (with updates from MEDJCT)
- Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade (MEDJCT) calculations using data from Statistics Canada and OECD. Select Markets 2017 (ages 25-64). Ontario breakdown: University 33.3%, College/Apprenticeship 34.4%. Not all jurisdictions count apprenticeship as postsecondary education.
Posted on Monday, September 17th, 2018 and is filed under General SCOR Representing the Region.