12 ways to Support Local Food
June 4th to June 10th is Local Food Week! Make sure you show your support by buying and supporting local producers, markets, and products.
Not sure where to start? Check out some of tips and resources below and tips on how to support local food all year
How to Support Local All Year
- Read labels. Check to see where you produce is coming from.
- Demand local. If you can’t find it, request it from your local grocer!
- Go to a local farmers market or buy direct from a farm
- Talk to a producer or artisan – learn about them and their product
- Stock up and freeze produce to stretch certain foods into the fall and winter. Try buying berries in bulk and freezing them.
- Eat with the seasons. Check out FoodLand Ontario’s Availability Guide so you know exactly when fruits and vegetables will be in season
- Source your meat from a local butcher
- Visit FoodLand Ontario for locally inspired recipes as well as the Love Local Food Summer 2018 Publication
Ah, Summer in #Ontario. What’s not to love? 💚 We're excited to share our new #LoveLocalFood Summer 2018 Digital Magazine! 🍓🍳🌱🍇🍑🍉 . . . Take a peek inside for some light and easy recipes, local drink pairings, farmer profiles and more. Download link in bio! ☝🏼#LoveOntFood #LoveLocal #EatLocal #SupportLocal #OntarioGrown #OntarioFarmers #SummerRecipes
- Support local through when traveling through the region. Check out local food artisans and get a taste of local. Go to the “Resources Around the Region” section below to find some great places to stop in each County.
- Eat at restaurants that are dedicated to serving local food. We have lots in the region and some can be found on the in the links under “Resources Around the Region” or on the FeastON website
- Join a CSA
- Grow your own food! Tight on space? No problem! There are many great options for growing food in small spaces. There are ladder gardens, planters, and indoor plant options, just to name a few. Go to Pinterest for some inspiration.
Resources around the region
- Oxford Fresh and Tourism Oxford
- Norfolk Farms and Norfolk Tourism
- Savour Elgin
- Feed Brant and County of Brant Tourism
- Middlesex-London Get Fresh Eat Local and Visit Middlesex
More about local food in Ontario
Local food has gained a lot of attention in recent years. In 2013 the Ontario Government introduced the Local Food Act. Through a number of ongoing activities, including the Local Food Act, 2013, the government is aiming to:
- increase consumer awareness and education,
- improve access to local food, and
- ensure that there is sufficient supply to meet demand.
To find out more about the Local Food Act click here!Posted on Wednesday, May 30th, 2018 and is filed under General SCOR Local Food uncategorized.